Tuesday, July 31, 2007

A simple conditional

Though it has taken me nearly 37 years to realize it, I am beginning to realize that life might very nearly be this simple:

if (hours_slept >= 7.5) {

my_mood="happy"

} else {

my_mood="sad"

}

So, that means I will _always_ get enough sleep from now on, right? Well, um.... It's not so simple.

I'm not an insomniac. Occasionally I have trouble drifting off, but if I do it's usually ironically because I'm stressed out from previous sleep deprivation (too tired to go to sleep). More often, there is just too much to do. Now that I am a Real Grownup with a job and a family, my only time to do my own work (blogging, writing) is when everyone else is asleep. This usually starts between 8:30 and 9:30. Jeff wakes up around 7:00, and during school time (September-June) I have to get up between 5:30 and 6:30. I also have lesson planning, grading, etc. to do then.

Nevertheless, the conditional above is too important to ignore. Now I'm trying to bargain with the Universe. What about 3 nights out of 4? What about seven hours, or six and three quarters?

I noticed there's another movie in the time-stop genre. I notice that in these movies and novels it's always guys and they always use the power to go into dressing rooms and look at naked chicks. I fantasize about this power all the time, but I would use it to add two or three hours to my working time every night. Not as interesting, though, I admit.

No comments: