Tuesday, April 26, 2016

More lies from the NYPD to protect killer drivers

Here's the thing: if a turning motorist hits a pedestrian or cyclist going the same (or opposite) way, it is _legally impossible_ that the driver had the right of way. If the driver had the light, the pedestrian or cyclist would have too, and by law the motorist should yield. If the pedestrian or cyclist was running the light, then so was the motorist. 

I don't have the data to back it up, but based on my regular readings of crash stories, I estimate at least half of pedestrian and cyclist deaths here come because a motorist doesn't yield on turning. I was almost killed the other day by a turning motorist, and I wasn't even on my bike; I was crossing the street to go to the bodega and buy bread! Jennifer has been hit at the same intersection while crossing. But rather than enforcing this law, the NYPD ignores the crime. 

And when a non-yielding driver kills someone, NYPD officers instinctively invent fantastic stories to protect the driver. And the victims aren't primarily fit, traffic-alert adults (though they can die too) but the elderly, the disabled and kids, who can't easily jump out of the way. Vision Zero means crap until the NYPD is in board, and I don't know if that will ever change.

No comments: